Sunday 19 March 2017

Before I Begin!

Hello there ladies and gentlemen, young and old,  and welcome to my blog!

A few things about me before I begin properly:


I am a 23 year old anorak in regards to WW2 history. I work full time at Student Finance in Darlington and gives me enough free time to have a few hobbies. l had done several re-enactments but only recently have l been asked to commit them to the written word. Re-enactment is not the only thing I do; l am a keen scuba diver and I am working towards my PADI Rescue qualification. I have been acting with several amateur theatre companies over the last 5 years, I sing in a local choir in Darlington and I have been playing guitar for over 12 years now, though whether I am any good remains to be seen!


As I said I am a bit of a history nerd. It started with me going out and buying a jacket from a military surplus store. It was just a plain naval overcoat, nothing flashy at all, but thats how it started..
I then got a job, it was a horrible job to say the least, so as a way of staying there and not taking voluntary unemployment I decided to buy myself a jacket each month,  mainly as away to show myself I was getting something out of it.  Before I knew it I had collected over a dozen jackets and tunics of all shapes and sizes. I have everything from complete Second World War RAF parade uniform and battledress to a 1950's Moscow Guards woolen overcoat, and everything in between. my more unusual purchases have been a red Guards jacket, a household cavalry jacket and an old Luftwaffe tunic. Apart from anything else im suprised that they all fit!

So the uniforms are in place, but the ability to take part came later. I joined a theatre company with my then partner and was introduced to a lovely couple who, unbeknownst to me, were in need of help. I did a show with this company, and after was approached by the man who is now my CO: Wing Commander Alan. Since joining forces, I have taken part in shows at Leyburn, Pateley Bridge, RAF Conningsby (the base for the Battle of Britain memorial group), and most recently in Pickering to Grosmont 1940's weekend. I am offically Squadron Leader Beamish-Young, AG (Air Gunner) DFC, 97th Squadron on leave from flying Lancasters!!

At the time of writing, these are the events I have done and I shall do my best to recall them as accurately as possible, and with as many pictures as I can find!

Thank you for taking the time  to read this, and I hope that you will enjoy reading about my exploits as much as I enjoyed enacting them.

No comments:

Post a Comment